I’ve learned that every mortal will taste death. But only some will taste life.
We often get lulled into thinking that things will get easier if only our outer circumstances change. The Enneagram is a map for shifting our inner lives so that we flourish more in our outer lives. It is a system for self-development that uses a nine-pointed figure to portray nine basic personality styles. Each type views life through a different lens. Each type falls into a trance that is unique to it, relying on patterns that become a kind of sleepwalking. And, each type has a unique pathway to freedom.
Weaving together ancient wisdom, contemporary psychology, and contemplative spirituality, the Enneagram is a tool that transforms lives.
During this self-paced, two-week online independent study, you will take a deep dive into what is quickly becoming one of the most referenced human development tools throughout the world. The course is self-paced and easy to use. Participants can view Scott’s video lectures, interact with reflection questions, engage with other participants in a private Facebook group (optional), and access additional supplemental materials to guide them in their learning journey. Scott will also host two Zoom calls (optional, but recommended) over the duration of the course. These calls will give those who wish to attend the opportunity to ask questions and interact with the instructor and other participants.
The course is divided into three parts:
Part One: The Human Challenge: Awakening to the Trance
The course opens with a look at the history of the Enneagram and the human struggle to move from our small, entranced selves to our vital, essential selves. It explores how our shifting levels of awareness significantly impact our experience of the world. It frames the journey of the Enneagram as a “downward ascent” and then walks through the model of the Enneagram and various factors that impact our dominant type.
Part Two: Exploring the Nine Types: Nine Pathways to Freedom
Each of the nine types falls into one of three intelligence centers (heart, head, and body), and we start by exploring these three centers of perception. Then each of the types are explored by looking at the key dynamics that contract our perceptions (the downward journey) and the pathways that lead to freedom and the unique gifts of each type (the ascent).
Part Three: The Blossoming of the Enneagram: Joining the Liberating Dance
The Enneagram is like an onion with many layers, and this third part explores some of the additional features that deepen our understanding of our type and the model. We also examine how the model contains a mapping system for how we can move from trance to dance. The course closes by inviting us into an exercise that helps us learn how our shadow aspects function in our type and lives and, finally, how the Enneagram invites us to evolve into our unique genius.
COST: $90.00. Registered participants will be able to access the course from November 2 – 20 and, before the course begins, will receive instructions for getting started and the Zoom links for the instructor calls. If multiple household members plan to take the course, please register as individuals.
IMPORTANT COURSE DATES:
- Scott will host two Zoom calls over the duration of the course: Mondays, November 9 and 16, from 7:00 – 8:30 pm (Central Time). You will receive more details about these calls upon gaining access to the course. Participation in these calls is optional but will not be recorded for privacy purposes.
- You will be asked to complete a course evaluation by Wednesday, November 25.
Online Course Expectations + Details:
- Time Commitment: We anticipate that the course will take approximately 6 to 12 hours, depending on your level of engagement with the course materials and community opportunities.
- Accessing the course: Prior to the start of the course on November 2, you will receive an email that contains instructions for getting started and the link and password for the course homepage.
- Technical Requirements: If you have access to a computer or other device (laptop, iPad, smartphone, etc.) and an internet connection, you will be able to engage in all aspects of this course. You are welcome to download and print all supplemental materials if you have access to a printer. There will also be two optional Zoom calls.
Facilitator Scott McRae has been involved in spiritual work in various forms for over 30 years and feels like he’s just getting started. His professional journey has included parish and campus ministry, as well as spiritual care leadership in health care. A pastoral educator for M Health Fairview, a spiritual director, and an Enneagram teacher and coach, he also runs Sojourners Institute with his wife Melanie.
This Program’s Calendar Entries
Click on the course you are attending to access the “Add to Calendar” feature.