Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Friday, September 18, 2020
It is so easy to find oneself on high alert, tense and exhausted by living through times with high levels of uncertainty and change. Our bodies so easily flip into a fight-or-flight mode, blocking our creativity, love, resilience, and hope. The antidote is to find ways to come home deeply to ourselves. At home in our bodies. Deeply at home in nature. At home in the universe and the unfolding story of the cosmos. At home even in the midst of our present evolutionary crisis.
Our bodies are the key to helping the peace and wisdom within our spiritual practices “stick to our bones.” Come learn a series of simple, gentle movement meditations to connect with your body and with nature. After we learn the fundamental movements together online, you will use the audio tracks sent to you before class to guide you in your solo practice in your home or garden. At the end of our one-session class, we will reconvene online to share our experiences.
The final movement meditation is a simple traditional govand dance from Armenia. Following the pioneering research by Laura Shannon, we will approach this dance as part of a body of women’s ritual dances that have transmitted women’s wisdom consciously through time. Come explore dance as a form of transformed contemplation.
People of all cultures, genders, and abilities are welcome. Participate while seated or standing, entirely inside or with some time outside.
COST: $25.00 for each individual session. This class is being offered twice; both sessions are the same, but you are welcome to register for each individual session and experience this class in new ways.
Each session will be held via Zoom and has a total contact time of two hours.
Class Introduction from Emily:
Online Course Expectations + Details:
- Register as individuals; if more than one person from your household is taking the course, ensure that you are participating in the course from separate devices.
- You will have access to a private webpage on the Wisdom Ways website that includes all class materials and the Zoom meeting link. The link and password for this private page will be emailed to you prior to the start of the class on either August 25 or September 18.
- Have the technology and internet connection that allow for stable video and audio connection through a computer or a hand-held device (e.g., tablet or smart phone).
- Each Zoom session will open 15 minutes prior to the start time so that any technological challenges can be addressed.
- Each Zoom session will include a facilitator from Wisdom Ways who will help navigate the small groups, and the questions and comments that are shared through the chat function.
Emily Jarrett Hughes is a dancer, healer, and teacher in the wisdom tradition. She helps people seeking transformation for themselves and for the world. She teaches and performs traditional dances as a tool for transformation and is also a Certified Spring Forest Qigong healer. In addition to regular classes, she leads workshops and retreats exploring embodied theology, cosmic evolution, water and social transformation. Through her work she seeks to honor both her European ancestors and the ancestors of the place where she lives, Mni Sota Makoce (Minnesota), “where the waters reflect the heavens,” in the traditional territory of the Dakota.
This Program’s Calendar Entries
Click on the day you’re interested in attending to access the “Add to Calendar” feature. Or if you plan on attending all these events, use the “Subscribe to filtered calendar” button at the bottom of this event list.