Wednesday, November 18, 2020
In the city fields
Strangers are like friends
Contemplation, as the Buddhist priest and poet Issa illustrates, is a field of intimacy, and writing is one entrance. Guest writer Kyoko Katayama, in conversation with Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew, will share observations about writing as a mindfulness practice and offer writing exercises that encourage deep listening, responsive creating, and open-hearted becoming.
The session will be held via Zoom and has a total contact time of 1.5 hours.
Online Course Expectations + Details:
- Register as individuals; if more than one person from your household is taking the course, ensure that you are participating in the course from separate devices.
- After registering and prior to the date of Writing as Contemplation: An Evening Conversation, you will receive an email from Wisdom Ways with the Zoom link and other information.
- Have the technology and internet connection that allow for stable video and audio connection through a computer or a hand-held device (e.g., tablet or smart phone).
- This Zoom session will open 15 minutes prior to the start time so that any technological challenges can be addressed.
- This Zoom session will include a facilitator from Wisdom Ways who will help navigate any small groups, and the questions and comments that are shared through the chat function.
Kyoko Katayama, a retired psychotherapist of 35 years, has been a lifelong student of writing and visual art. Author of the chapbook Wings above the Sea: A story and images of loss and transformation, her poems and prose have appeared in magazines and anthologies. Kyoko was a Loft Inroads Mentoring Award recipient. She is a mother and grandmother, and a befriender of a rescued dog.
Writing instructor and spiritual director Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew is the author of Writing the Sacred Journey: The Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir; Living Revision: A Writer’s Craft as Spiritual Practice; and many other books, essays, and short memoirs. Her work explores intersections between spiritual growth and the creative process.
This Program’s Calendar Entries
Click on the day you’re interested in attending to access the “Add to Calendar” feature. Or if you plan on attending all these events, use the “Subscribe to filtered calendar” button at the bottom of this event list.