When Silence Speaks: A Contemplative Evening of Poetry and Song with Naomi Shihab Nye and Sara Thomsen
Sunday, March 26, 2017
7:00 - 8:30 pm
Poetry and song both rise from and return to the silence. In this contemplative service, poet Naomi Shihab Nye and Singer/songwriter Sara Thomsen lead poetry, song and silence, opening our hearts to compassion, community and creativity.
This event is part of The Poetic Coversation of Being Human: A Week with Naomi Shihab Nye.
Learn more about other events during this week with Naomi
Naomi Shihab Nye is the author and/or editor of more than 30 volumes, including poetry, essays, short stories, novels for young readers, and picture books. The Turtle of Oman, her novel for children, was named Best Book of 2014 by The Horn Book, a 2015 Notable Children's Book by the American Library.
Musician in residence Sara Thomsen is a weaver of song and community singing. She is founder and artistic director of the Echoes of Peace Choir, a non-audition, 70-member community choir in Duluth, Minnesota and a staunch supporter of struggles for human dignity and ecological sustainability.
WHEN: Sunday, March 26, 7:00 - 8:30 pm
- Handicap Parking (Unity Church Lot): In lot immediately east of the church on Holly Street
- Street Parking: Available on surrounding streets (parking is prohibited within 20 feet of a crosswalk or intersection and in front of a fire hydrant; if you park on the street, please be aware of any other signs that may be posted related to parking).
- Unity Church Lot: One block east and one block south of the church on the corner of Saint Albans and Portland Avenue
- Obama Elementary School (707 Holly Ave. St. Paul, 55104): You are welcome to park in the lot north (behind) Obama Elementary School.
- River of Life Church (739 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, 55105): For this specific event, you are welcome to park in the River of Life lot across the street from Unity on Portland and Grotto.
This event is now closed for registration.