Sunday, March 26 – April 1, 2017
Have you been longing for time and space to write? For silence and a room of your own? For inspiration from a favorite poet to spur your own words? Wisdom Ways invites you to create a Do-It-Yourself writing retreat during Naomi Shihab Nye’s week as writer-in-residence, Sunday, March 26 to Saturday, April 1. A single DIY writing retreat registration fee covers:
- six nights’ accommodation in a private room furnished with a bed, reading chair, and wifi;
- admission to all five public events with Naomi Shihab Nye;
- a welcome lunch on Monday to meet Wisdom Ways teaching writers Karen Hering and Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew and your fellow DIY retreatants;
- a morning of coffee/tea and scones with Naomi Shihab Nye and fellow DIY retreatants on Thursday.
- Solomon’s Tent Exhibit: Conversation with artist and photographer, Osama Esid on Thursday, March 30, 7:00-8:00pm.
The DIY writing retreat does not include meals, except where noted. The rooms share access to a kitchenette with a refrigerator, microwave, sink and dishes, and many restaurants are located nearby. This opportunity is an experiment offered for a limited number of retreatants who wish to create their own writing experience, without a retreat leader (other than you!) but supported and fed by inspiration and teaching from Naomi Shihab Nye. Come by yourself, with a writing buddy or with your whole writing group.
Naomi Shihab Nye is the author and/or editor of more than 30 volumes, including poetry, essays, short stories, novels for young readers, and picture books. The Turtle of Oman, her novel for children, was named Best Book of 2014 by The Horn Book, a 2015 Notable Children’s Book by the American Library.
Writing instructor and spiritual director Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew is the author of Writing the Sacred Journey: The Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir; the forthcoming Living Revision: A Writer’s Craft as Spiritual Practice; and many other books, essays, and short memoirs. Her work explores the intersections between spiritual growth and the creative process.
Karen Hering, author of Writing to Wake the Soul: Opening the Sacred Conversation Within and consulting literary minister at Unity Church Unitarian in St. Paul, leads retreats and programs engaging writing as a spiritual practice and a tool for healing and social action and offers spiritual mentoring to writers.
WHEN: Sunday, March 26 – Saturday, April 1
COST: $425.00. Please call 651.696.2788 to register for this retreat.